Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Iran government opposes filmmaker’s sentence

This file photo from May shows Iranian director Jafar Panahi at his home following his release from prison in Tehran. AFP photo

This file photo from May shows Iranian director Jafar Panahi at his home following his release from prison in Tehran. AFP photo
Iran's government opposes a judicial sentence handed down on renowned filmmaker Jafar Panahi, jailing him for six years and banning him from making movies for 20 years, according to reports on Wednesday that quoted a top official.
"It is the judiciary that has passed the sentence and it is not the position of the government and the president," said Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's chief of staff.
"We do not approve the development that Panahi cannot work for a long time based on this sentence," Rahim Mashaie was quoted as saying by Shargh newspaper.
Panahi was sentenced for his anti-regime activities, according to his lawyer Farideh Gheirat.
Last month Gheirat told the media the verdict was passed after Panahi was tried for "[participating] in a gathering and carrying out propaganda against the system."

No comments:

Post a Comment